Thursday, June 2, 2011

Occupational Therapy

Last summer my Christian's body rejected his 2nd port. It was pretty awful. The port pushed its way out of his chest. It was removed and we had to pack the open wound and let it heal before the 3rd port was placed. This was the second time I ever felt as if I was going to faint. I didn't think I would be able to do it, but when your child has a hole in his chest and the only way to care for it is to clean and dress it, you dig down deep inside and just do it.



Before his 3rd port was placed, the doctor recommended a PICC line be inserted while the wound healed. It was an awful experience. Christian was having a bleed in his left arm, so the doctor attempted to place the PICC in the right arm. Nerves were hit and major damage was done to his arm. The doctor placed the PICC in the left arm and all was well, we thought.


Christian endured pain for the next few months. He could not use his index finger and thumb and was in constant pain. It was just awful. His saving grace was occupational therapy and Mr. Bob. It was very tedious work, but Mr. Bob made his therapy fun (actually I'm not sure who enjoyed it more, Christian or Mr. Bob.). By the end of the school year, Christian was finally able to use his fingers without pain. Honestly, I thought therapy would be a waste of time, but is was a huge blessing.


post signature

0 comments: