Sunday, July 31, 2011

Port #4



Surgery went very well. The hardest part this time was "Christian" coming out of the anesthesia. He was extremely agitated and would not stop crying. Finally, after some more pain meds and Benadryl, things calmed down and we made it out of recovery.

I think the hardest thing about the hospital is entertaining your child:) We are so grateful that the University of New Mexico has such a wonderful Child Life program. They are just fantastic!

A second IV did need to be started on Saturday because the first one became painful when infusing. My Christian is horribly afraid of needles and starting IV's are never an easy task. He did do a great job.

Now we wait to see if we get to go home on Monday or not. The HTC does not want a new port to be accessed until a week following surgery, so we would have to go home with an IV. His veins are pretty torn up from previous sticks, so depending on a peripheral stick in the case of a blown IV is slim. We may have to stay the week...we'll just have to see. He must have his factor on a regular post-op schedule, so we may not have a choice of going home just yet.

I'll admit, I've been pretty upset and wondering "why" my sweet son has to deal with hemophilia and his crazy inhibitor. But then, reality hit me upside the head. The same day we had to endure a second IV, a child on our floor passed away from a long illness.


Whatever I have to help my son deal with is just fine. I'm just so incredibly fortunate to have him in my life, hemophilia and all.

post signature

0 comments: