Monday, April 22, 2013

The Playground


Last week I went to "Christian's" Spring BBQ at the elementary (where 1st graders eat lunch at 10:45 am) :)  I sat with him and his friends and enjoyed some great conversation followed by the playground.

The doors from the cafeteria opened and the kids raced off to the jungle gym and the ball courts.  But something was not able to happen...Christian could not run with them.  Even if he had not been in the wheelchair, he would not be able to keep up.  It took my breath away for a moment.  My son was not able to run and climb and enjoy his classmates.  I started to feel really sad and then Christian says "Come on Mom, let's go around the track!"  He excitedly takes me around the perimeter of the playground (his very familiar route) and keeping up with him was not as easy as I expected.

Something beautiful happened during that recess time.  Occasionally a friend of his would find him on the track and walk and talk with him.  Two really cute little girls came up and said "let's race", as they walked quickly beside him.  And then a little boy came up to him and started "dodging" him making Christian turn his wheelchair around in circles to find him...it was like hide and go seek :)

Those children included my son and expressed a love only a child can express to one another. 

The wheelchair was not in the way, they saw past it.  He was just their friend.

My eyes were opened that morning.  I have a deeper appreciation for what my little one has to accept. 

I will be with him every step of the way.

post signature

0 comments: